Hey, Ian here. I think last time I wrote I had just come across a website that had loads of woodworking plans, but more importantly, it had some great rocking horse plans. I had wanted to build a rocking horse for my two girls but couldn’t find a decent set of rocking horse plans anywhere.
To cut a long story very short, I was able to find just the right set of plans for my rocking horse project and I have been busy building it ever since. In fact, I have built three. One for my girls, one for the granddaughter of a friend who had seen my first rocking horse, and the other one… well, I’ll tell you more about that in a minute.
I was so impressed with this site, and I think you will be too if you’re looking for a good set of plans from which to work, so I’m going to give you a brief review about it.
- All the plans, over 14,000 of them are instantly available to download.
- If you want a hard copy, on DVD for example, you can have one.
- Each plan has step-by-step instructions, a master blueprint, and a detailed materials list. That last point was very important to me because it drives me crazy if I start a project and then have to break off half way through because a vital bit of the puzzle is missing.
- Whatever woodworking project you’re thinking of doing, whether it’s a rocking horse, a bird table, or a shed, there is a plan here for you. I think I counted 105 different categories of project in all. Now can you see why I was like a little kid in a candy shop when I first found this site.
- In addition to the plans, there are a ton of instructional videos on various aspects of woodworking, and some of them walk you through specific projects. I must admit I have found these extremely useful and very addictive as a lover of woodwork.
- I knew I had found the right place when I came to this site but I was absolutely convinced when I saw there was a 60 day guarantee.
Can there be any negative points after I’ve raved about it so much? Well, yes, there are. There are two negative points, one of which I’ll show you how to overcome!
- The occasional plan, and I do mean occasional, I came across did not have a materials list with it. I told you how that drives me nuts. You could, quite easily, make up your materials requirements from the detailed drawings, but I would much rather it was supplied.
- Some people may think this is expensive. I guess it depends on your viewpoint. However, read on and I’ll reveal why I built three rocking horses, and how that makes price a non issue.
How to get your rocking horse plans for free.
Earlier on I mentioned that I made three rocking horses, one for my girls, one for a friend and the other one, I didn’t say why.
I built the third rocking horse to sell on Ebay.
My friend mentioned to me that these rocking horses are selling for a serious amount of money on Ebay and, particularly as this was more or less a custom build, it should sell for even more.
Now, I hadn’t had any experience of Ebay before and I must admit I left all the technical side to my friend, but what I can tell you is that by building those additional two rocking horses, I managed to recoup many times over the cost of buying those rocking horse plans.
May I make a suggestion? If you intend to undertake a woodworking project, buy these plans, make one or two extra units, sell them on, and your plans will be technically free.
And by the way, there’s even a book given away with the plans as a bonus which shows you how to start a woodworking business, if you’re so inclined. I’m just keeping mine as a lucrative hobby.
Oh, and one last thing. When you visit the site, use the search facility to look for your desired plans. You’ll thank me for it! J